Portage Service and Early Support
Providing early intervention for pre-school children with additional needs.
The Portage Team
- A trained home visitor visits the family at home, enabling the child to work in a relaxed atmosphere in familiar surroundings.
- Home visitors receive regular support through team meetings.
- A steering group made up of parents and professionals meets twice a year to review and monitor the service.
Criteria for Portage
- The child must be under four years old. If attending a nursery or pre-school setting this must be for less than fifteen hours. Where these criteria are not met consideration can sometimes be given on an individual basis.
- The child must be developmentally delayed in two or more areas.
- The child must be living in Thurrock (Although there are some exceptions to this).
How it Works
- In order to offer the best service to the child and family Portage home visitors will link with other professionals, e.g. physiotherapists, speech therapists etc., and joint visits are often undertaken.
Reviews & Transition
- Regular reviews take place in the family home to ensure that the service is still appropriate for the child and family.
- Portage supports the child's move from home into nursery/pre-school through a transition process.
- Parents/carers are invited to bring their children to support groups on a regular basis to meet for a session of fun and friendship.
- The children are able to use soft play and sensory equipment.
- Parents and carers have the opportunity to make new friends with other families.
Who can refer to the service?
- Referrals are welcome from parent/carers and all professionals.
- Please contact the Portage Service for a referral form on 01375 898652
Please check out 'Portage Times' for the latest news on our services. Click on the image below to view the latest Portage Times.(You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the file.)